Campus Representative Introductions and Thoughts on Feminism // Stephanie N. Wong, MA, EdM



It is my pleasure to announce that this fall newsletter can welcome the largest incoming cohort of Campus Representatives to date – this year, we have fifty-two Representatives coming from thirty-five universities and colleges across the country. Please join me in celebrating our Representatives’ dedication to and leadership in feminist practice and activism in psychology. Each representative’s name and affiliation is listed below; their complete biographies can be found at http://www.apadivisions.org/division-35/leadership/campus-representatives/index.aspx

I am honored to be serving as the Student Representative for the next two years and am grateful for the opportunity to be involved in SPW. This fall marks the start of my second year in my doctoral program and I find myself asking increasingly difficult questions as I discover and form my personal and professional identities. What does feminism mean to me? How does my feminist identity intersect with other identities and lived experiences?

As several scholarly endeavors begin, I tried asking Google if there was a well-referenced and well-researched definition of feminism that might jumpstart my own conceptualization. What is feminism? I typed. In 0.49 seconds, Google replied with 47,400,000 results and a primary definition highlighted: “the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.” This definition felt too simplistic to me, not to mention gendered and frustratingly devoid of any of the rich complexity that I have experienced in my own journey as a feminist. Regretfully, anyone seeking an answer to the question “What is feminism?” is routed to this woefully incomplete definition and may assume it is accurate.

Digging deeper into the millions of Google results unearthed an article published in 2012 in the magazine Everyday Feminism. The leading quote was by none other than bell hooks (1981, p. 194):
Feminism is not simply a struggle to end male chauvinism or a movement to ensure that
women have equal rights with men; it is a commitment to eradicating the ideology of
domination that permeates Western culture on various levels – sex, race, and class, to
name a few – and a commitment to reorganizing U.S. society so that self-development of
people can take precedence over imperialism, economic expression, and material desires.
I felt immediately connected to this definition – it stated what feminism was not and also described what the ultimate goals of feminism were. Though this particular quote by hooks was written before my lifetime, the ability of her words to transcend our generational divide leaves me in awe of how many people before me committed themselves to the feminist cause, fighting to be seen and accepted for who they truly were instead of living within the boxes designated by society. While I struggle to understand and negotiate my own boxes, the work that I conduct in my various domains as a researcher, scholar, leader, and activist brings me closer to understanding my own feminist identity and to hearing others’ lived experiences with an open heart and mind.  

In these next two years, I echo similar goals to hooks in upholding feminist values. I am admittedly idealistic: I hope that we can continue to bravely bring the ideology of domination to light and encourage the development of complex, authentic, dynamic people. I am encouraged by the impressive number and enthusiasm of Campus Representatives this year, which speaks to the lasting commitment of feminists before and feminists to come. I am proud to work alongside these outstanding leaders and am excited for our journey ahead.

2015-2016 Campus Representatives

Eliza Wierzbinksa, Adelphi University
Lauren Weisberg, Antioch University New England
Kendall S. Betts, Azusa Pacific University
Jean-Arellia Tolentino, California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP), San Francisco Campus
Katie Hannah, California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP), San Francisco Campus
Megan Mansfield, California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP), Los Angeles Campus
Alexis Hershfield, California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP), Los Angeles Campus
Kaitlyn Marie Bonzo, Chatham University
Megan Zurasky, Chatham University
Keely Hirsch, Chatham University
Simrun Kaur Sandhu, Chestnut Hill College
Kristen Anna, Colorado State Univesrity
Meghann Elizabeth Soby, Emmanuel College
Adriana Christina Doerr, Florida School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University
Carly Trask-Kuchta, Fuller Theological Seminary
Magon Adams Shirley, George Fox University
Rosanna Shoup, George Fox University
Maria Pietruszka, Long Island University Brooklyn
Erin Wolfe, Long Island University Brooklyn
Marissa Floro, Loyola University Chicago
Dannet Perez Palacios, Minnesota School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University
Anna Vandevender, Radford University
Amandahbeth Tilus, Regent University
Candyce Burke, Regent University
Lauren Jacobs, Regent University
Natalie Berigan, Rockhurst University
Anastasiya Tsoy, Teachers College, Columbia University,
Jessica Johnston, Texas Tech University
Samantha D. Christopher, Texas Tech University
Alyssa Benedict, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
Aurelia Gooden, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
Sandra Cortez, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
Annahita Mahdavi, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
Callie Barfield, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Washington, DC Campus
Takisha Wilson, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Washington, DC Campus
Vanessa Facemire, University of Akron
Madeline Brodt, University of Massachusetts Boston
Crystal Nichols, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Sarah Conlin, University of Florida
Elizabeth Louis, University of Georgia
Adrian Kunemund, University of Georgia
Amanda Backer Lappin, University of Kansas
Blanka Angyal, University of Kentucky
Holly Brown, University of Kentucky
Allie Rosenberg, University of Miami
Meredith Anne Martyr, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
Natalie Raymond, University of North Dakota
Alexandra Nobel, University of Rhode Island
Cecile Gadson, University of Tennessee – Knoxville
Marlene Williams, University of Tennessee – Knoxville
Angelica Puzio, Wake Forest University
Valamere Mikler, Walden University

References

hooks, bell. (1981). Ain’t I a woman: Black women and feminism. Boston: South End Press.






No comments:

Post a Comment