Not Your Housewife: Reclaiming cooking as an act of feminist self-care // KYLIE STEINHILBER, M.S.


I recently moved in with my male partner and instantly started to notice a growing distress around food within myself. As someone who has grown up on diets and later spent a large sum of time dedicated to researching the relationships women have with food and their bodies, I know the importance that food can take on in a woman’s life. For many women, the idea of cooking, in particular, is inherently tied to the traditional stereotypes of women’s household roles in the home: cooking, cleaning, and taking care of one’s husband and kids. This image can be confining for many, especially those who don’t conform to heteronormative or binary gender roles and can have negative effects on one’s mental health. Moreover, emphasis on traditional divisions of male and female roles (masculinity/femininity) may account for health disparities in stress and well-being that disproportionately afflict women (Mayor, 2015). While I enjoy cooking, I found myself feeling that pressure when moving in with my male partner to make sure I cooked for both of us. However, this added stress that I did not predict as cooking started to feel more like an obligation than a free expression.
We cannot deny that that cooking is a domestic task women are socialized to perform. At the same time, many women enjoy cooking. However, these things don’t really align. As Julia Black, a writer for Bon Appetit, put it: “I Thought Cooking Would Make Me a Bad Feminist.” So, how can women reclaim cooking for themselves without feeling that they’re succumbing to gender oppression? For me, it involved a brief break from cooking initially. I had to express to my partner my need for him to engage in cooking activities more which flipped the gender dynamic on its head. As I began to reintegrate back in the kitchen after my time off, we began to cook together more often or switch the days each of us cooked, equalizing the power. I also engaged in cooking for myself more frequently. This also required me to set boundaries with my partner about what I would cook and not cook for him based on my available time and stress level. I also cooked or baked when no one else was home – a peaceful meditation of sorts. Additionally, I cooked for my female friends allowing myself to incorporate cooking into another aspect of self-care, socializing, and to build community around food.
In doing all of these things, I experienced a lot of benefits. For starters, by setting healthy boundaries for myself with my partner, I gained a sense of confidence and self-efficacy. Additionally, our relationship benefitted from having open and honest conversations about the pressures gender roles placed on both of us, not just myself. By taking time to engage with food individually, I started rebuilding my relationship with food and I was also able to manage stress by becoming fully engaged with the cooking process when I wasn’t under pressure to cook for someone else or within a certain time-frame. Lastly, I was able to foster my own feminist community by bringing together my friends over food.
These benefits around cooking and food aren’t unique to me. Researchers have started to examine the ways food can be beneficial for psychosocial health. For example, Famer and colleagues’ review on cooking interventions showed that cooking shows promise as a mental health intervention because it has positive effects on socialization, self-esteem, quality of life, and affect (Farmer, Touchton-Leonard, & Ross, 2018). Authors believe the effects lie in cooking’s ability to foster mindfulness and creativity (Hoque, 2015). Additionally, feminist cooks have been opening feminist restaurants since the 70s and 80s as a way of reclaiming cooking for themselves  (Cooke, 2019). Feminist restaurants have been important in building feminist communities of women as well as queer, especially lesbian, communities by giving women safe spaces to gather.
Feminist restaurants arose from the need of women to have their own separate domains in which to thrive, connect, and socialize safely because the traditional gendered division of labor isolated women in the home. However, authors note it has not always been that way – rather, prior to the 19th century, women and men shared the burden of cooking as many more people were part of rural farming families (Flinn, 2019). Future research should examine the ways in which the family landscape is changing around food as it relates to gender roles and mental health. Additionally, as women begin to reclaim cooking as a feminist act of self-care, it is pertinent that men join as allies, taking on some of the burden of cooking and joining women in the positives that cooking can bring. Moreover, a feminist lens should be applied to research in the area of cooking and mental health, as this activity is heavily tied to the historical roots of what it means to be a woman and feminist movements.
By KYLIE STEINHILBER, M.S.

References:
Cooke, S. (2019, July 9). Reclaiming Cooking: The legacy of feminist restaurants. Retrieved from https://fembotmag.com/2019/07/09/reclaiming-cooking-the-legacy-of-feminist-restaurants/
Farmer, N., Touchton-Leonard, K., & Ross, A. (2018). Psychosocial benefits of cooking interventions: A systematic review. Health Education & Behavior, 45(2), 167-180.
Flinn, A. (2019, April 19). It’s time for women to reclaim the kitchen as an empowering place. Retrieved from https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/cooking-feminism/
Hoque, F. (16 January, 2015). How cooking boosts creativity, mindfulness, and mastery. Retrieved from https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-cooking-boost-creativ_b_6443504
Mayor, E. (2015). Gender roles and traits in stress and health. Frontiers in psychology, 6, 779. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00779


No comments:

Post a Comment