Examining Privilege in Higher Education: A Graduate Student Perspective //Samantha Hinnenkamp



Artwork by Alesya Zhitkevich (Minsk)

Despite celebrating my tenth year of feminism, the timeless nature of the feminist maxim coined by Carol Hanisch “the personal is political” continues to resonate with me. For some time, I have been cognitively wrestling with questions of my own class privilege as a graduate student. Once I complete my education and earn a PhD, my title will be an emblem of my class status. This will come with social capital, job security, and some degree of respect when interacting with others. I will be trusted to make decisions for the good of others and will be trained in critical thinking beyond what the average person will have gained through education. Currently, my program can cover the cost of most of my tuition fees (I cover about $4200/year in student fees), and I am secure in my access to paid assistantships. I have a good relationship with my advisor, receive faculty support in my department, and have an incredible cohort that anchors me. Not only is having access to this level of education a privilege, but there are many beneficial aspects of my department that not all graduate students have.
            
Amidst this privilege, I recognize aspects of higher education that exploit what I have to offer. Currently, I’m working as an unpaid and unlicensed clinician with their master’s degree. I provide valuable and life saving healthcare in exchange for experience, despite the marketplace value of therapy services. Further, I have independently taught three courses as an undergraduate instructor. I know someone with my same level of education hired as a contracted or adjunct instructor would make more than I do. I don’t have access to healthcare through my job, even though I need health care coverage to ensure I receive the medical treatment I need in order to be a contributing member of society. Luckily, I am eligible to purchase a plan through the marketplace at a reduced rate that has adequate coverage for what I need. Furthermore, the economic conditions I will enter as a professional are starkly less secure and profitable than those who entered this profession in the previous generation when factoring inflation that is not matched with increased wages and student debt.
           
I am a White, straight passing, cis-woman who is physically able bodied. I’m so safe in my body living in this world due to all the associated privilege, so I have nothing to complain about.
Talking about aspects that are inequitable makes me an agitator of sorts, and the nail that sticks out gets hammered down. 
Centuries of women have been excluded from positions of power like the one I have. Why can’t I just be grateful for what I have?

Yet, as a counselor I know silencing that which we feel shame towards is toxic. As Bayard Rustin (gay, African-American Quaker and civil rights activist) asserted, there is value in “speak(ing) truth to power”. Further, I know I’m one graduate student of many who are coming to terms with what it means to be receiving higher education. Recently, I attended the National Multicultural Conference and Summit. During the conference, I made an effort to engage in genuine conversations with other graduate students in applied psychology doctoral programs. The working and learning conditions of my fellow trainees at programs across the US are varied. Some students have graduate student unions, so they have access to healthcare. Others do not meet state requirements for Medicare, since they do not work enough paid hours to be eligible, even though their yearly income is in the eligible range. Some are dealing with the reverberations of accusations of interpersonal harassment and violence spanning years “allegedly” (eye roll) perpetrated by someone from their department. All of this does not even consider the impact of intersecting identities on the graduate student experience.

As the environmental conditions of our nation and world erode,
as the continued forces of US imperialism destroy communities globally,
as the United States façade of a democracy continues to be dismantled,
as our physical safety in public settings becomes less secure,
as our continued commitment to capitalism and “stuff” supports the exploitation of human and natural resources,
it is still worthwhile to examine the cost associated with the privilege of higher education.

 Written by Samantha Hinnenkamp







No comments:

Post a Comment