My Feminist Contradictions: Making Sense of Benevolent Sexism//Kylie Steinhilber





 Photo by Alessandro Zuffi, Retreived from https://magoz.is/sexism/

I’m not a perfect feminist and as Bad Feminist author, Roxane Gay, highlights, the road to embracing a feminist label is messy. Gay also cleverly illustrates how the life of a woman is filled with contradictions leading many of us to feel we don’t measure up to the “perfect” feminist ideal.

One contradiction that has me stumped lately is the one between my own label as a feminist, and my own acceptance of benevolent sexism. Benevolent sexism (BS) consists of evaluations of gender that are generally perceived as positive and praise those who conform to traditional gender roles (Glick, Diebold, Bailey-Werner, & Zhu, 1997). However, BS also promotes the notion that women are inferior (Glick & Fiske, 2001). For example, the notion that women are in need of protection or help from men or that women are intrinsically more sensitive and weak whereas men are strong. This may take the form of a man insisting on carrying a woman’s bags because he feels she needs help, when in reality she does not. Underlying this seemingly positive and helpful action are assumptions rooted in paternalism that confine women and men to prescribed gender roles and promote the perception of difference.

This dissonance arose after reading the results of a study conducted by Gul and Kupfer (2018): Women, including feminists, find benevolent sexist men more attractive than men who are not. At the same time, women also recognize that benevolent sexist men are more patronizing and undermining. Did you catch that? 2018. Not 1963. 2018.

When I read this, my mind was A) completely blown and B) trying reconcile the shock of such results while knowing that I, too, would likely respond in the same way—especially considering that my boyfriend states at least once a week that “he sleeps closer to the door to protect the woman (i.e. me).” And yet, I find his eagerness to defend me attractive.

I feel embarrassed to admit that I blindly accept many instances of benevolent sexism. While in the moment these comments don’t readily appear sexist, the paternalistic undertones don’t align with my values as a feminist. However, I am self-compassionate towards this internal struggle knowing that the research has found that many women also accept BS.

I needed answers to explain this phenomenon. The authors largely credit evolution for why we feel that benevolent sexist men are not only more attractive, but warmer and more willing to protect, provide and commit to us (Gul & Kupfer, 2018). However, we do not live in the Environment of Evolutionary Adaptedness in which our species evolved. And, we still have a long way to go with the secondary explanation that mate preferences are determined by sociocultural factors such as the unequal gender-based division of labor that leads women to seek “provider” men.

Given the recent movements against sexual violence such as Me Too and Time’s Up, I also wanted answers for why women in 2018 are so accepting of benevolent sexism; it seems counterproductive. On one hand, we publically denounce sexual violence, sexism, and those who are bystanders to it. On the other, this study says we support sexism, or at least one form of it.

One explanation for this paradox, researchers say, is the racket hypothesis which proposes that women exhibit higher levels of benevolent sexism as a means for protecting themselves against men’s hostile sexism (i.e. negative antagonism towards women who challenge traditional female roles; Glick & Fiske, 2001; Glick et al., 2000). Surely, Me Too and Time’s Up have been accompanied by plenty of hostile sexism towards women who have voiced their stories of victimization and those who push to change the status quo in Hollywood, the government, or even their local communities.  

As I try to make sense of all this information, I return to the facts of what we know to be true. 1) The more one experiences sexist events, the more one experiences psychological distress (Szymanski, Gupta, Carr, & Stewart, 2009). 2) Rates of benevolent sexism are higher when hostile sexism is higher (Glick et al., 2000).

Therefore, it seems that the racket hypothesis can explain why the sexual violence and sexism in the media is accompanied by increased hostile and benevolent sexism. However, I question the direction of effect that the racket hypothesis proposes. Either the racket hypothesis is true (hostile sexism triggers benevolent sexism), or benevolent sexism creates adverse environments in which hostile sexism thrives. Moreover, these explanations may work in tandem in a positive feedback loop in which hostile sexism feeds back into benevolent sexism.

When we accept benevolent sexism, we unconsciously promote the notion that women are inferior. This perception of male superiority not only feeds into hostile sexist attitudes that tear down women emotionally, but also contributes to violence against women as a means of protecting male power and privilege.

This type of systemic understanding of sexual violence, or any women’s rights issue, is often ignored and can be difficult to prove in research. Moreover, systemic perspectives are also difficult to disseminate to the public. Research on perceptions of sexual violence has found that the general public struggles to connect the dots between sexual violence and systemic factors that promote it (e.g. the lesser status of women throughout history); people tend to opt for more individualistic explanations of sexual predation such as bad parenting or immorality instead (O’Neil & Morgan, 2010).

So, where does all of this information leave you and me? What can you or I do on an individual level to counteract this cycle? I can think of a few things:
1)      Self-Inquiry. This blog post is just one of the first opportunities for me to question my acceptance of BS, where it originates within myself, and the ways in which I, too, promote BS. This can be as simple as taking just a little longer before I speak or act to consider the long- and short-term effects of my own words and actions.
2)      Self-Care. Along with point 1, I can give myself self-care time to cope with the sexism that I experience and read about. I can do this through healthy outlets such as writing or attending women’s groups to foster connection through shared experiences. Through this, I can build resiliency and lessen frustration.
3)      “Ouch”. This is a tactic that was introduced to me during a round table discussion of racism and racial representation following a showing of the movie “Get Out”. Participants were asked to use “ouch” as method of communicating that something somebody said was hurtful, and prompting discussion and resolution. I think this is a friendly method I can introduce to future academic discussions of sexism and to those in my personal life.
4)      Start with those closest to you. I can address the BS that comes from family and friends using “Ouch”. They are a comfortable place to start. When I hear BS coming from them, I can start conversations that build understanding through using curiosity (rather than personal frustration). I can start by perspective taking and trying to understand their point of view, communicate my own, and find our common values that connect us in order to make my social environments more welcoming.


Written by Kylie Steinhilber


References

Gay, R. (2014). Bad feminist. Hachette UK.

Glick, P., Diebold, J., Bailey-Werner, B., & Zhu, L. (1997). The two faces of Adam: Ambivalent sexism and polarized attitudes toward women. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 23, 1323–1334. doi:10.1177/01461672972312009

Glick, P., & Fiske, S. (2001). An ambivalent alliance: Hostile and benevolent sexism as complementary justifications for gender inequality. American Psychologist, 56, 109–118. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.56.2.109

Glick, P., Fiske, S. T., Mladinic, A., Saiz, J. L., Abrams, D., Masser, B., . . . López, W. L. (2000). Beyond prejudice as simple antipathy: Hostile and benevolent sexism across cultures. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 763-775. doi:10.1037//0022-3514.79.5.763

Gul, P., & Kupfer, T. R. (2018). Benevolent Sexism and Mate Preferences: Why Do Women Prefer Benevolent Men Despite Recognizing That They Can Be Undermining? Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 1-16, doi:10.1177/0146167218781000

O’Neil, M., Morgan, P. (2010). American Perceptions of Sexual Violence: A FrameWorks Research Report [PDF file]. Retrieved from http://frameworksinstitute.org/assets/files/PDF_sexualviolence/AmericanPerceptionsofSexualViolence.pdf

Szymanski, D., Gupta, A., Carr, E., & Stewart, D. (2009). Internalized Misogyny as a Moderator of the Link between Sexist Events and Women’s Psychological Distress. Sex Roles, 61(1-2), 101-109. doi:10.1007/s11199-009-9611-y



No comments:

Post a Comment