I Have Some Dreams // Jessica Graham


Img src: https://www.flickr.com/photos/school_of_teacher_training/8153375382

I have a dream where my 8 year old son can come home and not have to worry about his friends being deported.

I have a dream where 8 year olds don’t have to be crying at school because they don’t understand why people would make a wall to separate people.

I have a dream where Native Americans don’t have notes on their doors telling them to “go back where they came from”.

I have a dream where no one gets told to “go back where they came from” and that we can learn from each other’s differences instead of being afraid.

I have a dream that in the “Land of the Free”, that includes all who are here and not only the “privileged”.

I have a dream where people aren’t motivated by money, but by the good of the majority, not the minority.

I have a dream where my 4 year old daughter can be the astronaut she wants to be and not have to be told she can’t just because she’s a girl.

I have a dream where women don’t have to live in fear of being groped or worse on the street, let alone by someone whom they trust.

I have a dream where I and others can be all the different intersectionalities of identity openly and not face discrimination, or worry about our families being discriminated against.

I have a dream where people who have different abilities are not considered inconveniences to society.

I have a dream where men don’t have to try to convince me, a female, how they are against misogyny and the patriarchy to show me they are “safe”.

I have a dream of so much more where people are caring and loving and not focused on separation and fear.


On August 28, 1963 Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech. Here we are in 2017, and it still applies. We have made progress and taken steps back. There is still work to be done and it certainly extends beyond just the current state of the United States. I have my own “I Have A Dream” speech which includes this and so much more than this blog can hold. What are your dreams? Can we make them a reality? I think we can. It’s a long road, but if we pull together and start, we’ll be that much closer. Let’s break down the walls!

No comments:

Post a Comment