Challenging Ourselves to Do Better and Be Better//Erika Hanley, M.A.

Photo retrieved from https://www.signsworldwide.com/polystyrene-signs/polystyrene-open-closed-sign.html

I recently had the opportunity to sit down for a discussion with Dr. Camara Jones of Morehouse University School of Medicine and Emory University Rollins School of Public Health when she visited my university for a lecture on race and health inequality. She recounted an allegory she provides each time she discusses race and privilege:

When Dr. Jones was a medical student she went out to dinner with some peers. Once she and her peers had been seated, she noticed a sign on the main door. For those at the tables inside, the sign read, “Open;” for those outside — unable to take a seat — it read, “Closed.” Dr. Jones indicated that the sign served as a powerful metaphor about the way privilege functions in United States and around the world. The systemic structures present in our lives have a dual reality like that of the sign. Those inside the restaurant who have access to opportunity don’t know of the two-sided sign. They are aware of their own reality. Those outside of the restaurant are aware of the two-sided sign with an awareness of their reality as well as the reality they don’t have access to.

Once she completed her story, she asked the discussion group what questions we had or thoughts came up for us. Well, when I was processing this allegory I couldn’t help but think that not only was this a great explanation for the way in which privilege works but also how do we go about addressing the sign? If I’m inside, how do I help those also inside to see the sign or the people outside of the restaurant? If I’m outside, how do I help those who feel they have no hope of getting inside? All questions that were in line with my value of helping others and identity as a counseling psychology doctoral student, social justice activist, and feminist.

Reflecting now, I realize that the first step before answering any of these questions was to look at myself. In what ways have I been outside or inside the restaurant? How have I been perpetuating systems of privilege or addressing them? Have there been times I could have done better in a situation? I believe it would be difficult to educate others and encourage them to do their own processing if I fail to do so myself. I often find myself, and I’m sure I’m not the only one, guilty of asking a lot of others in their journey towards understanding and addressing privilege without putting myself in the spotlight and asking what it is I am doing.

This conversation doesn’t get easier with time because no matter how much is known it still feels “icky” to have the knowledge of an unfair and unjust system. But with time there can hopefully be more compassion and more motivation to challenge ourselves to be better and do right by others professionally and personally. In order to create partnerships and continue the fight for and towards equality, there is internal work that must start and continue. So I ask this of you: whether inside or outside the restaurant, how are you challenging yourself to be and do better?

Written By Erika Hanley, M.A.

Jones, C. P. (2000). Levels of Racism: A Theoretic Framework and a Gardener’s Tale. American Journal of Public Health, 90(8), 1212.
Jones, C.P. [TedXTalks]. (2014, July 10). Allegories on race and racism [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNhcY6fTyBM


No comments:

Post a Comment